Wednesday, July 11, 2012

congolese friends and miracle food

Recently Landon and I have had the great fortune of becoming friends with a family of Congolese refugees. The missionaries met them first, and asked us to give them a ride to church. There are nine of them and they range from ages three to grandma and pretty much only speak Swahili - which makes communicating a little bit difficult.

The second time we drove them home from church I got the strongest feeling that Landon and I should have them over for dinner. When we got out of the car, I tried to invite them with some combination of sign language and super slow English, but it didn't really work and I'm positive I looked ridiculous.

Later, Landon and I returned to their home with a pocketbook of basic Swahili phrases and gave them an invitation they could somewhat understand. Shadraq, the 3-year-old, was just loving Landon's Swahili :)  We also invited our friends the McNeils, the missionaries, and our friend Liz (who is from Kenya, goes to school with Landon, and speaks Swahili) to the dinner. So all-in-all we were going to have 15 people for dinner in our little apartment on our little budget.

We went to the grocery store, filled our cart with a ton of food, and stared at the register with wide eyes as the grand total got higher and higher. I felt a little sick to my stomach about spending our monthly budget for groceries on one meal, but I knew it was the right thing to do.

Soon after leaving the grocery store, Landon received and email from someone in our ward who was moving back to Utah and offered us to come and clear out their freezer.  Seriously there was enough food in there to feed us for a couple of months! It was like Christmas morning! As we drove home our hearts were so full of gratitude towards our Father in Heaven who knew our needs and took care of us - and for a family from church who were instruments in the Lord's hands to serve and bless us. We knew that this miracle food was a direct blessing for feeding our new Congolese friends. Somehow the Lord found a way to take care of all of our needs. Landon and I are continually amazed at the way the Lord hears and answers our prayers in such direct and perfect ways. This tender mercy is one we will always remember.
checking out the congo on google earth

with my girls and shadraq




this kid LOVES the camera












2 comments:

  1. Wow, Meagan, this story is so inspiring. I hope you share this experience when you are the general Relief Society president! Thanks for typing it all up- it just made my day :)

    Also, I didn't know that Landon is in medical school! My brother-in-law is as well, he is in the middle of either his second or third year (can't remember) but he is doing rotations too! So I'm not married to a med student, but I know from Brandon that the hours are pretty unbelievable. You're a champ for supporting Landon!

    ps, I found your blog because you posted a link to it on Facebook. Thanks for sharing- I've bookmarked it! We don't update it super often, but Nate and I have a blog too: shakeyourbonnbonn.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em! You are so sweet. I'm glad that you found my little blog and I'm happy you shared yours. You are on quite an adventure!! It seems like ya'll are doing really well there. xoxo

      Delete