Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Miles Richard Hansen

Our baby boy is here! Miles Richard Hansen was born at 12:23am on Sunday, July 22nd. He weighed 8 lbs 9 oz and was 20.5 inches tall.

I was ten days over due and was induced early Sunday morning. By the evening things were rolling along and I thought I'd be seeing my little boy any minute. I had an epidural and I was feeling great. They decided to break my water and that's when things got pretty scary. With each contraction Miles' heart rate dipped really low. Everyone rushed in as they put oxygen on me and had me roll on each side, hoping his heart rate would increase with a change in position. It didn't. At one point they asked if I could get on my hands and needs and I said yes and flipped right over. As I told my BFF about this she asked if that was hard to do with my epidural. I hadn't really thought about it, but before that moment I could barely lift what felt like thousand pound legs, but if they told me a quick sprint around the floor would have brought his heart rate up, I could have done it.

With each contraction I would listen to his struggling heart, praying it would come back, and when the contraction ended it would. But one time it didn't. People were rushing around me, unplugging machines, and alarms were going off, but all I could hear was the silence of the heart monitor. Landon leaned over me and gave me a blessing - at amen, his heart was back.  Heaven felt so near. They rushed me to the OR for a stat c-section. They had a hard time getting him out because of his position and how the cord was wrapped around his neck. They had to use a vacuum on his head :( Landon was by my side the entire time. When they pulled Miles out Landon was so cute, 'That's him Maeg! Do you hear him!?' That moment was the best feeling I've ever had in my entire life. I couldn't control my tears and I was just so overwhelmed with love! Landon went to grab him and brought him right back to me. We sat there together staring at him as they stitched me up. Landon was not obedient to the curtain we were behind - he watched them pull Miles out and kept peeking over to see them stitch me up. The anesthesiologist finally told him to follow the rules or he'd have to leave, haha. What do you expect from a medical student and excited father?



I also have to add, MY MOM ROCKS! The days leading up to Miles birth she cleaned my apartment, nearly packed the whole thing, bought me baby stuff I still needed, finished all my unfinished crafts (and there were a lot), took me out to dinner, and did lots of walking with me. Even though at times we were just dying to have Miles come, I am so grateful for the time I spent with just her. She was by my side all though labor, rubbing my back and feet and encouraging me along the way. Just before they rushed me to the OR she helped me to calm down and know that everything was okay. I love her. She also took Miles from me on occasion and made me sleep :) I miss her so much now. 




Also, my dear friend Alli was an important part of Miles' birth. She was with me all evening and stayed with me until about 4am in the recovery room, even though she had work early that morning. She is one of those people that is just so full of light and happiness and feels good to be around. I'm grateful she was there. And photo credit to her!


The last two weeks have been the happiest of my entire life. Being a mom is so fun! And watching Landon be a dad might be even more fun. He is amazing. Here are a few photos of the big day.






And heading home from the hospital..


No comments:

Post a Comment