Sunday, July 8, 2012

Girls Camp

My dream calling has come and gone way too quickly.  This year I was called as a ward girls camp director, and it was such a wonderful experience! First of all, this camp was nothing like the camp I went to as a youth- blazing hot, army tent, hiking, certifying, and porta-potties.  This camp was cabins, air conditioned auditorium, canoeing, swimming pool, and cafeteria! I was over all of the first years in the stake and we were assigned to be the country of Greece as part of our stake theme, 'Training for the Kingdom, Go for the Gold!'

It made me laugh when a few girls asked me if I was one of the girls or a leader during the week. Not sure if it was my groovy dance moves, my love for Justin Bieber, or the fact that I busted out a back-handspring into the splits during skit night. Ouch. Sometimes I feel that I am a 14 year old trapped in a 24 year old body...hence why this is my dream calling :)

I love being around young girls who are so kind, enthusiastic, and strong in their morals and faith. Most  of the girls are just one of a few LDS students in their entire school, so it means so much to them to get together and see other young women who are just like them - struggling to make good choices and strengthen their testimonies in a sometimes lonely and crazy world.  Here are a few highlights below!

Certification Olympics
                         


in front of our cabin









snipe hunting

fire making




3 comments:

  1. This looks so fun!!! I am way impressed you can do a back handspring to the splits... dang girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dream calling? You are a saint! I'm sure the girls just LOVED you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maile, it was the first time I'd tried in over 2 years, but it's amazing what you can do with some adrenaline and peer pressure :)

    ReplyDelete