Thursday, May 31, 2012

El Libro de Mormon


Today I was shopping at my favorite store in the world, Goodwill, and had a great experience. Well every time I shop there I have a great experience, because I love old belts, shoes, books, dishes, decorations, clothes, furniture--if its old, I love it. But today was a unique experience.

I was looking through the books and was drawn to a brown leather book that didn't have a title on the spine. When I opened it up, I discovered it was El Libro de Mormon. I was pretty excited because I don't personally own a copy of the Book of Mormon is Spanish, but I've really been wanting one.

Then, as I walked around the store, I saw a cute girl with three young children.  I heard her speaking to them in Spanish and knew instantly that the book was not for me, but for this family. My heart was pounding, because I was so nervous about approaching her but I knew I had to.  Fortunately, pretty much all I know how to do in Spanish-thanks to my mission-is tell people about the Book of Mormon.  I bought the book for 75 cents and did my best to explain to her that it was a gift from me. I told her it was my favorite book, it was all about Jesus, it took place in Ancient America, it would bring her family blessings, and everything I could think of.  Then worried she didn't understand anything I said, I turned to the introduction of the book and had her read the whole thing. Yup, right there in Goodwill.  She said she would like to read it and thanked me for giving it to her.

Landon and I have given out quite a few copies of the Book of Mormon since we have been here in North Carolina, but the way I felt the Spirit guide me to this particular book and family was unique. Plus, in my experience, giving out one copy of the Book of Mormon in Spanish is equal to giving out twenty copies of the English version.

Anyways, the Book of Mormon is one of the greatest gifts in my life, and sharing that regalo with someone else was the best feeling in the world.

4 comments: